“I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go.”
Rachel Joy Scott (1981-1999)
Student, First Victim Of The Columbine High School Massacre
A few days ago, I was asked by a photographer friend, Lyndsay, to join several other bloggers on a campaign, of sorts. She wanted to challenge us to go out of our way during the month of February – aka “love month” – to do an act of kindness, share with our readers and encourage them to do the same. What would happen if we did just ONE act of kindness a day? a week? a month? How would it change us? How would it change the world? I like to think that it will cause a chain reaction. If you haven’t seen the movie Pay it Forward, you should…it’s all about this stuff and it may just inspire you.
Just to give you a little background from where I’m coming from and why I jumped ‘on board’ with this campaign. I am a Christian, and I believe that because Jesus first loved me (while I was still a sinner and did not deserve it, Romans 5:8), I’m called to love and show grace (whether they “deserve” it or not) to others. I’m thankful that God showed His unconditional grace in my life and because of that, it has allowed me to be Unconditionally Graceful to others.
So, my dear readers, here’s the challenge (if you choose to accept it…and I really hope you do, because it’s really fun!)
1 – We’re gonna spend the next 2 weeks (Feb. 1-14) going a little out of our way to show someone we love them. Here are some examples to get the creative juices flowing..most of them won’t even cost you a dime:
* giving your friend or family member an extra hug, ‘just because’
* paying for the stranger in the car behind you at the Starbucks drive-thru <– That one’s my personal favorite
* putting a handwritten note in your husband’s briefcase, or your child’s lunchbox
* letting someone go ahead of you in the grocery line
* make a donation to a charity that is dear to your heart
* pray for someone
* say ‘hi’ to someone new at your job or on the playground or at the mall…wherever…just look them in the eye, smile and say ‘hi’
* make dinner for someone who just had a baby, or surgery or ‘just because’ and deliver it to them
* volunteer at a local non-profit
* hand the homeless person, standing on the street corner, a water bottle and some food, instead of ignoring them.
* etc., etc., etc.,
2 – You don’t have to have a blog to join us. Post about it on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook using the hashtag #ShareTheLove2013. That way we can all be connected and inspired. I plan to post inspiring quotes and maybe some pictures here and there…of course!
3 – Post about it on your blog, if you have one, for all your readers to be inspired to ‘share the love’.
4 – On February 14th – “LOVE Day”, I will post about my experience and we’d love for you to write about your experience, too. There will be a ‘link up’ on my blog, so you can post to your blog and we can read about how we’ve all shared love around the country. This is really cool, you guys!
We have such a fun group of bloggers participating – Lifestyle Blogs, Photography Blogs, Mom Blogs, Style Blogs… even a couple that focus heavily on adoption! Check them out and be inspired by their unique stories. I’m humbled to be part of this amazing group of ladies.
Sarah Beth: http://www.sarahsandelblog.com/ & happyhomecollective.com
Most of them I don’t know personally, but I love the fact that even though we have never met, we share this common belief that “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
Are you in???